Monday, August 13, 2012

Introduction

If you believe Google (oh, and I do -- I really do), there are over 150 million blogs out there. So I'm guessing I can't be the only person to wonder what business I have writing down my thoughts and sending them out into the great collective world consciousness.  Fortunately, statistically, I am also probably not the least well-equipped person to blog, either.

Allow me to introduce myself, as simplistically as possible: I am a married, employed, childless woman who lives in Alaska.  I love dogs, and reading, and hiking, and running, and travel.  And eating -- oh yeah, I'm a foodie.

But the most currently defining objective fact about me is this: I am 46 years old.  The Middle.




I am neither young nor old.  I have friends and relatives in their 20s and in their 60s. I remember TV and music and current events from a time most of my younger coworkers never knew and, frequently, couldn't imagine (a "party line," what's that?).  I observe my body succumbing to aging changes, yet still feel vigorous. I still cannot conceive of my own death -- not really -- though my own mortality is increasingly perceptible. 

I have lived long enough that I have experienced profound personal changes in my own life and the lives of loved ones: marriage, birth, death, suicide, cancer, recovery, addiction.  And I've watched decades of Life go by enough to perceive trends, to realize that some things really do not ever change and are not worth fighting, and I realize I have so much left to learn.

And so that is my perspective, the perspective of this blog.  I hope.  I don't have an agenda, or an axe to grind. Some days I may write about my morning run. Or my dogs. Or grammar and punctuation (apostrophe-misusers, your days are numbered). Or Alaskan politics (probably not). Or how middle-aged American women disappear off everyone's screen except advertisers and other middle-aged American women. Or I may rant for half a page about Autocorrect.

One of the "How to Blog" help sites -- which quickly overwhelmed me so I stopped reading them -- suggested not to try to seem like an expert.  Well, I'm certainly no expert on "What It's Like to Be a Middle-Aged Woman," except in my own life.  So, if you're reading, you can take all this with a huge grain of salt.  Or not.

In any case, I look forward to writing -- for you, for me.  From the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment